Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pure Magic


Everyone once in a while I come across something so special and magical that I sometimes wonder if it really happened or if I was dreaming. This last weekend was one of those times! I was up in beautiful Hot Springs, NC at a Kindred Spirits Gathering, and WOW was it totally awesome!!!

I have heard about gatherings from different friends through the years, and had always wanted to go to one, but never had the opportunity until this weekend! I've also been practicing my own little branch of Wicca (a Nature Based Spirituality) ever since I left the Christian church in high-school. (I got tired of going to hell simply because I'm different). Unfortunately though I've had very little opportunity to share my spirituality with anyone and have often felt the loss the kinship that arises from a mutual understanding of something bigger than myself. Although I should mention that I have recently found a welcoming group of people in the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh, where they accept people of all races, genders, creeds, and forms of spirituality. :)

Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to take part in the gathering when my friend, Terri told me about it. The deal was sealed when I got to meet one of the leaders of the western NC group, Holly Boswell. I knew immediately that I was in for something special. It must have been the air of presence and caring that follows her everywhere she goes! :)

Well, I couldn't have been more surprised and impressed with what I found when I got there!
Everyone was SO kind, sincere, open, and welcoming! From the opening ceremony I knew that I was in for a treat! First of all, almost everyone there was trans! Second, everyone was there with the sole intent of taking part in this special event with every part of their being! And it was truly special!

The entire 4 day weekend (Thursday - Sunday) was spent in such an actively relaxed fashion! There were several traditional pagan circle-type rituals, all of which were centered on personal growth, healing, sharing, and listening to our intuition. The most impressive and intense of which was the circle held on top of a bald mountain with a complete 360 view of the Blue Ridge Mountains!!! We did several shamanic journeys with Rick and Annasara Fire. (who have to be the absolute cutest couple I've seen in quite a while!) :) The sheer amount of intense, spiritual, and even supernatural experiences was quite overwhelming!

There was nature walks, frolicking in the Laurel river, and recuperating in the famous hot springs. We ate tons of fantastic vegetarian food cooked by our hosts at the wonderfully quaint and welcoming Sunnybank Inn too! Elmer Rocks, and you just can't say enough about his hospitality!!! When we weren't doing structured events, there was lots of getting to know each other, drum circles, story-telling by the campfire under a full moon (awesome!), yoga in the yard at dawn, oh and yeah we did actually get some sleep too! :) LOL!

I would HIGHLY recommend this for ALL people of a spiritual leaning, especially those who are TG and who are looking for something that uplifts and celebrates them for who they are! I for one will remember this forever and will DEFINITELY be back every year that I can possibly make it!

"Hello" and "Love You" to all my new friends! :)
Maddy

No comments: