Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Maddy Speaks Up

Hello Everyone,

You may or not be aware of the fact that, aside from the many things I do, I'm also a member of the Human Rights Campaign's Board of Governors (http://www.hrc.org). Obviously, therefore I support HRC in it's fight for ALL of our rights, especially my trans brothers, sisters, and everyone else in-between. ;)

I'm not one for confrontation though, so I usually avoid engaging when people are being silly or just plain bitchy. Occasionally though I'll see something that just doesn't make sense. Recently I received an email on the Cyndi's Circle list denouncing HRC for it's recent statement to the National Platform Drafting committee of the Democratic National Convention (http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2008/08/hrc-legislative.html) .

Here is my reply:
Dear Cyndi,

Thanks for sending this out! I'm very excited about the recent activity in Congress concerning our rights as Transgender Americans! I'm a little perplexed by your blowing this off and then stating that "actions speak louder than words" though.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that our voice as trans people is being heard by HRC, and that we are seeing "actions" on their part. This latest hearing is a good example. Another great examply is the recent hearing on "transgender issues" (http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2008/06/wow-rachel-and.html) in which HRC Business council members Diego Sanchez testified in person and Meghan Stabler testified in writing.

As a trans-woman, I personally applaud every organization willing to stand in front of our nation's government and fight for our rights, regardless of mistakes they may have made in the past. Shouldn't we all applaud and encourage more of this behavior from HRC, rather than denouncing them for their efforts?

Sincerely,
Madeline Goss
Proud Trans Woman and member of the HRC Board of Governors
Makes sense to me. :)
Maddy

No comments: