Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Changing Your Identity

OK! So I'm finally to the place in my life/transition where I (get?) to finally legally change my name. (The question mark here comes from one of my recent life questions, "If I lived in in a perfect world where what's between your legs didn't determine your gender, would I need to 'transition' at all?") I've done the hard part at the courthouse and social security office, but now I need to do the rounds of all of the utilities, banks, work, etc and share the good news. :)

There is one nagging question though... Should I even bother to get my gender marker changed? I mean really. Although I never wanted to be trans, and I sure as hell wouldn't wish it on anyone else, I'm proud to be so. I have a set of life experiences that are unique to me and me alone (well, me and the rest of the TG world ;) ). Non-TG people definitely can't say that they've truly walked a mile in a man's shoes and another in a woman's (figuratively speaking of course).

There more to it than that though. If I got my gender marker changed, that would be one more block in the way of going stealth. You see, unlike some of my TG brothers and sisters I don't want to be stealth. In fact, I fear it! To me it would mean giving up that part of my life that I've lived up till now, and all the experience, friends, and family that comes with it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely THRILLED to have spent the last year of my life as a woman! Even though things haven't been easy, I would do it over again in a heartbeat!!!

I just don't believe that you can deny part of who you are and remain a healthy person. It's like going from one closet to another and I refuse to do that. Because of that, I'm almost of a mind to not get the marker on my DL or Birth Certificate, etc changed. It's one little way of keeping me honest. :) Maybe I'm over-thinking things (like I always do), but it's important to me to be out as trans! I mean really ... how else are we going to change the world??? ;)

Maddy

2 comments:

Stephanie Marie said...

Maddy,

Congrats on the new blog! Blogspot is so much easier than MySpace for blogging purposes.

I look forward to reading more. It is true that when you stop fighting and start accepting your true self, the world seems to open up to you. You no longer have to hide in shame because there is no shame in being you.

*hugs*
Stephanie Marie

Maddy said...

Thanks Stephanie Marie! :)

I miss seeing you around, but I'm glad you stopped in and checked out my new blog! :)

Take care,
Maddy