Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Southern Comfort = Queer Power

WOW! I mean really... WOW! I'm so totally and completely basking in the afterglow of SCC! I had SO much fun! I also met some seriously awesome people while there!

I love doing anything centered around queer people! It just makes me happy to walk into a room absolutely filled with people who cross gender, personal, political, and sexual lines on a regular basis! Being trans identified, this is as much an affirmation of who I am as anything! :)

More than that though, I truly see myself as queer! I mean, no matter how you look at it I cross "normal" boundaries on a regular basis. Gender-wise .. well, that's just obvious isn't it? At least as long as you don't start looking at the fact that I pass a little TOO well, and I am too often mistaken for your average straight middle class woman.

As for sexuality, I just don't think I could take it any farther than I already have (at least and not cross some boundary on good taste... ;)) I've dated and slept with men, women, and everything in-between... and enjoyed it! I actually prefer people who aren't all that 'straight', since it takes a lot of pressure off of me to be 'normal' as well. :)

Speaking of which... wasn't I talking about SCC? Oh yeah.. ;) So I met some awesome people there, went to a lot of seminars and learned a great deal (especially about the guys...). I also met this really sweet t-girl down there who totally swept me off of my feet and had me floating on air for like 3 days! :) LOL

What really surprised me was the number of people who wondered why I was there (back to the passing too well thing). That's a VERY weird experience for me, even if it is a little rewarding. Funky huh? I worked to hard on passing over the years that sometimes I accidentally go so far into 'normal' gender land that I get mistaken for one the natives. All along I just want to be appreciated for the exotic beauty that I have as a strong, queer, trans-woman. :)

OH well, the thing I learned at SCC was the being queer rocks because it gives you the freedom to be who and what you really are, regardless of the strictures of society around you. :)

Miss everyone already! :)
Maddy

No comments: